1662 Font

The older of the Church's two Fonts, octagonal and of perpendicular design, is dated 1662 - some years before the 1675 rebuilding. It bears the date, a double-headed eagle and a rosette. Having been sited in the customary position near to the main door, it was moved to the north wall of the Tower by G E Street at the time of the 1870's restoration of the Church, close to the Choir Vestry, where it remained until its present siting in the north aisle in 1977. The double-headed eagle crest has been granted to the Lloyd family by the Holy Roman Emperor for distinguished service during the Crusades, and the Font is thought to have been a gift from Colonel Lloyd, Governor of Oswestry Castle, as a thank-offering for the restoration to the throne of King Charles II.

1662 Font