The Lady Chapel

Continuing past the Vestry, one can enter the Lady Chapel. This is the devotional heart of the building, dedicated to Mary, mother of Our Lord, and there is a predominance of blue in accordance with tradition. On Holy Days, and other such high seasons, the Altar is clothed in a white frontal with red or white side-curtains as appropriate.

There are three windows within the Lady Chapel. The East Window depicts the four gospellers, surmounted with Christ as the Lamb of God. Hidden by the reredos are the bottom four panels which show the head of a man, lion, ox and eagle, as derived from Ezekiel 1:10 and Revelation 4:7, the symbolic heads of the four Evangelists. Similar representation exists in the east window of the Chancel. The window in the south wall of the Lady Chapel Sanctuary depicts the coats of arms of a local family. Another window in this wall, nearer to the rear of the Chapel, shows the Feeding of the Five Thousand and women and children, and is a memorial to Thomas Sawley, Vicar from 1825 to 1871


The ornate Latin memorial near the door to the office is to James Donne, a Christian Scholar, Vicar of Llanyblodwell (1796-1833)  and headmaster of Oswestry School (1798-1833

The Lady Chapel


The Reredos
The Centre panel of the Reredos is of the Annunciation of Our Lord to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The Triptych
Mounted high on the south wall of the Lady Chapel is a large Triptych.